Estate planning for beneficiaries with a disability brings with it a unique set of considerations. There are various structures which may be appropriate vehicles to house wealth for the benefit of family members with a disability.
During this seminar, Solicitors from BAL Lawyers* will discuss Special Disability Trusts, All Needs Protective Trusts, and general Testamentary Trusts, all of which can be useful mechanisms to protect and control assets and inheritances. In any Estate Plan, the challenge for parents and family members is to:
- Decide what provision, if any, should be made for a family member with a disability;
- Ensure as a priority that any provision does not impact on the beneficiary’s entitlement to receive the Disability Support Pension;
- The interplay between the funding plan under the NDIS and the suitability of a Special Disability Trust;
- Understand in what circumstances it is suitable to establish a Special Disability Trust during the lifetime of the parent or donor, as opposed to establishing it on the death of the parent;
- Understand housing and accommodation options and the benefits of Special Disability Trusts in this regard; and
- Consider the option of Statutory Wills for beneficiary’s or children who lack testamentary capacity.
Carers ACT will be live streaming this session. If you are unable to attend on the day but would like to view the live stream of the session from your electronic device (such as mobile phone, tablet, or computer), please register a “Streaming” ticket. If you select a “Streaming” ticket, you will receive a separate email at least two days prior to the advertised date and time with a link to click on the session. By attending and participating in this session, you consent to video, images and audio of yourself and those you are responsible for being used in this manner. As this session is being live streamed, participants are reminded to arrive before or on time. The session will commence once the facilitator is available and as close to the advertised time.
If you are unable to attend on the day, you may also change your ticket to a “Streaming” ticket, if this is more suitable to you.
Registration to attend is essential through the link below. If your are unable to attend on the day, please notify Carers ACT as soon as possible by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 6296 9982.
*Carers ACT does not endorse this organisation.